Set up a network-connected printer with an Ethernet cable by installing the HP print driver on a Windows PC.
Step 1: Prepare for the driver installation and network connection
Before installing the driver, make sure you have a functioning network router and an Ethernet cable.
- Make sure you have a network router with available Ethernet ports.
- Make sure your computer is connected to the router if it is not already connected.
- Obtain an Ethernet cable. Do not use a standard telephone cable.
Ethernet cable: Connector is wide and has eight wires
Telephone cable (do not use): Connector is narrow and has between two and six wires
Step 2: Connect the printer to the network
Connect the Ethernet cable to the printer and to the router, switch, or hub so that the printer is found during the installation.
- Turn on the printer.
- Remove any plug or protective cover from the Ethernet port on the rear of the printer.
- Connect the Ethernet cable to the printer and an available port on the router.
Step 3: Install the software
Install the HP print driver to complete the network printer setup.
- Go to 123.hp.com, enter your printer model, and then follow the onscreen instructions to download your driver. Depending on your printer model, the guided driver installation app HP Easy Start might download.
- If a driver or HP Easy Start downloads, follow the on-screen instructions to open the download file to start the setup. When prompted to choose a connection type, select Wired Network. You do not need to complete the remaining steps in this section if the setup is successful.
- If the download fails or your printer is not listed on 123.hp.com, continue with these steps to install a driver from the HP website.
- Go to HP Customer Support – Software and Driver Downloads, enter your printer model if prompted, and then confirm the operating system version selected is correct.
- If a Let’s identify your product to get started page displays, click Printer, type your printer model number, and then click Submit.The software results page for your printer displays with the default operating system selected.
- If you need to change the operating system, click Change, select your version, and then click Change.
- Under the Driver heading, click Download for the full software package, or click Basic Drivers for other driver options.
- When prompted by the installer to choose a printer connection option, select Wired Network to continue with and complete the setup.
- Try to print, scan, or fax, depending on your printer functionality.